Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nutrition and Weight

I am annoyed with myself for a few reasons.
1. I feel like I have been gaining weight the past few weeks even though I've been training a lot. I want to be somewhere between 125-130 but am creeping closer to 135. :(
2. Does this really matter? I'm not doing tri's to win. Maybe it's muscle? I know I'm in better shape than I've been in for a while (maybe ever?). Shouldn't that be the most important thing? My body weight is healthy so what's the big deal?

It's just that nagging feeling that I hate not looking like a triathlete. But maybe I do look like one and am just being hyper-critical. And what does a triathlete look like anyway. Are we talking real people triathletes or professional triathletes?
Argh. It's annoying. I want to not care but I can't help it! And, I'm not very good at watching what I eat. I like food. I feel like the majority of what I eat is healthy.

Ok, so here is my plan.
1. I am going to keep a food journal, this is supposed to be a good tool for figuring out where I can improve my eating habits.
2. 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day
3. I talked to my doctor today and she said I should be getting about 1200 mg of calcium a day. That is 120% of the daily value. So more low-fat dairy or other calcium sources.
4. I HATE doing core work, I think it's so boring, but I am going to do it more often (meaning I am going to do it at all, starting with about 5 days a week for about 10 minutes). This will help me feel better about myself AND having a strong core is really important anyway!

I have some other ideas for what would make a good daily diet but this is enough whining for now. If you are reading this and have some thoughts on weight and nutrition for triathletes, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment